Friday, November 4, 2011

He May Look Sweet and Innocent

This boy is testing the very limits of my sanity. The tantrums have been in full force since we took his pacifier away. Is it related? I'm not sure, it doesn't seem like it should be since he only took his pacifier at naps and bedtime. It could be he doesn't rest as well now and he is more grouchy. I sure hope it's a phase. A very short one.
A typical tantrum from Evan can last anywhere from 15-30 minutes. No amount of reasoning will snap him out of it. He just has to cry it out until he decides he's done throwing a fit. His triggers seem to be anything we tell him he can't do. And also naptime and bedtime. Some nights bedtime is fine, he lays down and goes right to sleep. But others he cries and cries until he finally falls asleep, exhausted I'm sure. I try and tell myself he's two and a half and it won't be like this for long, it's so hard for me though. He screams and screams and there's no consoling him.
The worst is getting him ready in the morning. He is NOT a morning person. I try and wake him up at least 20 minutes before I have to get him dressed but he doesn't usually budge. I have to physically pick his limp body out of his crib and put him on the changing table. That's usually when he wakes up and a full on struggle ensues. Thrashing and kicking he does not want his diaper changed or to get dressed. Then I have the task of getting him into the carseat while he's stiff as a board and refusing to bend. All really fun at 6:30am with a 4 month old to think about as well. Thank goodness Erin is such a good baby or I would have gone crazy long ago.
Now don't get me wrong, the tantrums are a pretty small part of our day. He is still the sweet good natured boy he has always been but sometimes his crazy tantrum side decides to show up.
It's been a challenging couple of weeks. It's hard to know how long it will last. Most people with two year olds have told me to "get use to it". Sounds fun.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Good thing he's still completely gorgeous!