Tuesday, May 20, 2008

This Ain't Your Mama's Yoga

Even though I hadn't even tried regular yoga I've decided to give Bikram Yoga a shot. Now for those of you who haven't heard of it (like me a few weeks ago) I'll give you the wikipedia definition.

Bikram Yoga, also known as Hot Yoga, is a style of yoga developed by Bikram Choudhury and a Los Angeles, California based company. Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°F (40.5°C) with a humidity of 40%. Classes are guided by specific dialogue including 26 postures and two breathing exercises. Classes last approximately 90-minutes.

So now let me give you my definition... the hottest room you've ever been in times ten, contorting your body in ways you never thought were possible and sweating more than you can imagine.

I've been to three classes so far and the most difficult thing for me is trying not to pass out - seriously. I also have sore muscles where I didn't even know muscles exist.
I'm still undecided whether I like it or not. For one, it's time consuming - I'm used to working out for about half the time yoga takes. Also, I'm miserable the entire time but i figure I'm pretty miserable with any form of exercise really.

I'm hoping it'll be worth the suffering, time will tell I suppose - I'm trying it out for at least a week. The good news is after just three classes I already feel more energetic, less stressed and most importantly slimmer.


1 comment:

Jennie said...

Sign me up!

Umm, yeah I would pass out and die in there! Once I sat in a 140 degree sauna for like 3 minutes. 90 minutes would be the death of me! But maybe we could die skinny?