Friday, January 30, 2009

Snowmageddon

I hate to wish my life away but I can't wait until Spring. After 4 days of snow, ice, power outages and treacherous driving conditions I'm so over this Winter crap.
When I woke up on Tuesday morning I pretty much decided that I needed to call into work, we already had a few inches of snow and the forecast was calling for more snow and ice. I can drive in snow but ice, forget about it. Todd went to work but came home early as it became more dangerous to drive in.  
On Wednesday morning we woke up at 2 AM when the power went out. The next 4 hours we would listen to the ice storm and the havoc is was doing outside to our trees. It looked and sounded like a war zone, tree limbs breaking off from the weight of the ice and bright flashes of light from the transformers all over the city blowing up. I tried to fall back asleep but as soon as I would get close a huge limb would crash to the ground and wake me up. 

When the sun came up we saw this in front of our house. A nice tree had broken off and partially blocked our road. 
I will say it was all so pretty to look at. I just love snow - but only on the weekends when I don't have to drive anywhere.
So still without power and Todd home from work I got the brilliant idea to go into work. Todd drove me and about a mile down the road we encountered this lovely power line down blocking the road.
So work would have to wait. I did eventually make it in, about 4 hours later after it stopped snowing and we were able to drive around the downed wire without getting stuck. I'm glad I went in, if for nothing else than to be warm for a few hours, our house was freezing. 

After work we decided below 50 degrees in our house was too cold so we built a fire in the fireplace and blocked off the other rooms of the house. It got warm but we were dangerously low on firewood. We had to use it sparingly to make it through the night. We slept in the family room and fed the fire all night. It was probably the worst nights sleep I've had in a long time. It was still really cold and just plain uncomfortable. At about 3 AM we put some of the last pieces of firewood on the fire. Luckily at 4 AM the electric came back on. Hallelujah! 
We still had to deal with the freezing cold temperatures until the house heated back up but I was so grateful to those hardworking electrical workers. 

Thursday came and went with no additional snow or ice but there was still the bitter cold. Friday morning I woke up to 1 inch of additional snow. Enough already!

But by Friday afternoon the sun was out and all that ice had started to melt. But even better than the melting was how gorgeous all the trees were when the sun hit them. I was dying to get my camera and get some pictures. I was only able to get a few when I got home from work before the sun went down. 


Of course Lilly had to have her fun in the snow too. 
I really hope that the forecast I've heard about a new storm headed our way for Monday is wrong. Please, please, please be wrong!!!


No comments: