Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Backpack Incident

While in Hawaii last Spring we had an incident involving our rental Jeep. When we received this letter yesterday Todd and I could not help but laugh. 


The crime rate in Kauai is almost nonexistent which is why I was so surprised that this happened to us. The cop that came to help us was VERY thorough and so nice. He asked us descriptions and took lots of pictures of the Jeep. You can really tell they take any crime, no matter how small, very seriously there. 
I expected that these kids who did minor damage to our glove compartment and didn't actually steal anything (except of course the soda from our cooler) would be long gone and the cops would never find them. I also suspected we would be forced to pay the damages on our rental. We filed the claim with Alamo and once arriving home I waited to get a bill. Months went by and after following up I found out the file was closed since they never received a cost estimate from the repair shop. So really other than ruining our nice day at the waterfall, no harm was done. 
Back in August I received a call from a police detective in Kauai and he informed me that they caught the juveniles the day of the break in. I was shocked. They were caught at a beach near by surfing. He told us that one of the boys confessed and was admitted to a juvenile drug rehabilitation center. He asked if we had incurred any charges from the rental company so the boy could pay us back. I told him they were not charging us so he thanked me and apologized for the whole ordeal. Again, so nice. 

I can't say enough about how great the Kauai (Lihue) police handled the whole situation. And receiving this letter yesterday reinforced the fact that it would be an amazing place to live and definitely retire someday.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Cool, lets all move there.