Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Oaks


We went to the Kentucky Oaks yesterday. It was my first time at either Oaks or Derby. And living near Louisville that is just unheard of.

We went went some friends and had great seats. Todd was very serious with the wagering.
I just sat back and watched the people. And it was the greatest people watching! Such a diverse group of people.
It was beyond crowded. I heard the crowd was 116,000 strong, the largest Oaks crowd ever. It felt every bit of over 100,000. It took about a half an hour just to walk through the paddock, weaving through all the people. I've never seen Churchill Downs so packed.
Despite the crowd we had a great time. We only cashed one ticket but we were happy with that.
I snapped this picture as we were walking past the Jockeys quarters.
Kent Desormeaux
Today is Derby day and the forecast is calling for rain, rain, rain. I guarantee there will not be as many people at the track today. 

No comments: