Sunday, January 6, 2013

Stitches

Yesterday Evan was playing normally and all of a sudden ran a fast as he could from our family room into the living room. He stumbled and fell face first into the corner of our coffee table. The cut didn't bleed, well maybe a trickle but not bad. I could tell it was pretty bad but wasn't sure if he would need stitches. I put a band aid on it and a few minutes later it seemed Evan had forgotten all about it.
I called Todd and asked him what I should do. He dropped what he was doing and headed home. I had pretty much decided to take Evan to urgent care or the ER since I was most worried about infection and scarring. I was almost sure they would laugh at me for being an overprotective worrisome mom. Once Todd got he and he took the band aid off to look he said, "yea, let's go".
So off we went to urgent care. Always a pleasant experience. After waiting forever they took us back and we saw the doctor. Honestly the whole time I was thinking Dermabond. A little glue surely would do the trick. To my surprise (and horror) he said he needed stitches. They suggested Erin leave the room so she wouldn't get upset so Todd took her out into the hall. I knew I would need to be the one to stay with Evan, if only because Todd gets a little squeamish. All this time Evan was super good. He was laughing and talking to the nurse. Such a trooper.
In order to stitch him up they needed to restrain him. They put him in what they called a "papoose" mostly just a backboard with lots of straps so he couldn't move. Even after they put him in Evan was laughing and wasn't bothered. But that all changed with the doctor had to give him a couple of shots near his eyebrow to numb the area. The next 10-15 minutes (mom time 2 hours) were horrible. He screamed the entire time, even after he was numb he was scared and really hot. I tried to reassure him but nothing worked. The doctor put in one stitch and stopped. The nurse made a comment to him, something like "there's a loop in it" and then the doctor had to fix the problem and then he added two more stitches. I've never seen stitches being put in so I wasn't sure if this was an error or what but it just seemed to take forever. I wasn't a huge fan of the doctor. We've seen him before there and he's kind of hard to understand. I know Evan didn't understand a word he was saying.
Anyway, after it was over Evan was unwrapped and Todd came back in. Evan basically collapsed onto  Todds shoulder where he stayed for about 10 minutes. He was almost instantly calm after they unwrapped him.
We waited another 10 minutes for the after care instructions and by that point Evan was bouncing around like his normal self. I blew up a rubber glove and made him a balloon and you would've thought that was the funniest thing he had ever seen. We left and went to get some frozen yogurt and all was well.
Today he asked to look in the mirror and it really worried me. He seems ok with how it looks but he did ask to put the band aid back on. I don't blame him, it looks pretty gnarly.
Todd and I are both really worried about scarring but I guess we'll have to see. I feel so bad it happened and I know there wasn't really anything I could do. I might have to invest in the corner guards for the tables now. The particular table he hit isn't even the one I was always worried about the kids hitting. Maybe I'll just wrap the kid heads in bubble wrap from now on.

No comments: