Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My Shy Boy

Evan is shy. So so shy. Anytime he is around strange adults and even children he clings to my leg like he is scared to death. And to be honest it's not always a bad thing. If we are out in public or at a party I don't have to look far for my little guy because he won't leave my side.
Today we went to a playground/splashground. This is one of the situations I wish he was more comfortable playing with other kids. For over an hour we sat at a picnic table and he refused to move from my side. Eventually the very end of the splashground was empty and I saw my chance to get him into the water.  And he loved it.


But anytime another kid would come down to the end he was back to me holding on to my pants leg.
He really enjoyed himself though and I just have to plan for plenty of time for him to adjust. It was really crowded today but schools start back tomorrow so we will be making more trips this summer until it closes. It is a great park - lots of stuff to do.  But of course Evan chooses to pick up and inspect sticks.
This trip was also the first time I took both kids somewhere other than a grocery store or Target by myself. Erin did great and slept the whole time.
About 2 hours in Evan decided he could at least stand next to another kid, so I think he has made some progress. We'll see on our next trip!


No comments: